Philippine Open fires off

Three past winners and the current Asian Tour Order of Merit (OOM) leader are tipped to contend for the 2014 International Container Terminal Services Inc. Philippine Open, which tees off on Thursday at the Wack Wack Golf and Country Club in Mandaluyong City.

Singapore’s Mardan Mamat, the reigning titlist who ruled the 2012 edition after no tournament was held last year; 2011 titlist American Berry Henson and 2008 winner Angelo Que of the Philippines head the list along with the hot-putting Anirban Lahiri of India.

Mamat, during Wednesday’s press conference of the 96th Philippine Open, said he is strolling down memory lane as he returns to Wack Wack, which will host the $300,000 Philippine Open for the 29th time, the site of his third Asian Tour victory.

“I remember some [winning] putts and shots that I made back in 2012 and playing on this golf course brings back all those happy memories. You got to be patient and respect some holes here, especially the popular par-three eighth hole,” said Mardan.

He added that his game though is a bit shaky but remains positive with his chances. “It is nice to get back on Wack Wack. Hopefully, [on Thursday] I put everything in place and work on things that I need to work on to defend the title.”

Henson, meanwhile, is just hoping that reuniting with former coach Mike Wilson would result in another title win, especially when he returns to what he calls the Augusta of the Philippines—Wack Wack—in the 10th offering of the 14-leg Asian Tour.

“Once you get in Wack Wack’s gates as if you entered a different world. I call this the Augusta of the Philippines and I hope that getting [Wilson] back to coach me again would translate into another title,” Benson said.

“He [Wilson] helped me get back on track after winning a couple of titles way back. I used to shoot 59s under his guidance and we had some great successes in the past. Now, I’m working on improving my swing after he found out something’s wrong.”

Que, on the other hand, just wants to focus on his game after having sleepless nights with the addition of his second child with his wife Tracy and revive the winning form that gave earned him the $54,000 top prize in 2008.

“It has been quite busy for me with the addition of a new child. I’m a bit out of sync because of the new baby and I don’t get to practice much. I need more sleep,” said a smiling Que, who had the chance to work out with coach Bong Lopez last week.

“I’m pretty excited coming back to Wack Wack. I’ve won here before and we all know how to win on this course. You need to be patient here and hope for the best. We played in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore and we learned something from the past few weeks and everyone will be ready.”

Lahiri, meanwhile, is on a hot streak roll after winning the 2014 CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club and three other top 10 finishes catapulted him on top of the OOM race with $240,090 in total earnings.

“It has been a great 12 months for me considering that I had an injury 9torn ligament) during the offseason last year. Good thing my trainer and therapist worked hard with me and brought me back to the top of my game,” said Lahiri, who is set to get married later this month.

The 26-year-old Bangalore resident is also aiming for a breakout win at the Philippine Open, a victory that would earn him a spot in next month’s US Open.

“I’m currently at number 64 [World Golf Ranking]. I know this is a very challenging course and I need to play my best golf. It is a very exciting time for me and I know I’m going in the right direction.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay