Guidote, Lingam dream big

Filipino bet Sofia Isabel Guidote and Aneeta Lingam of Malaysia know they have much to learn before achieving their dreams of competing at a higher level in figure skating after competing in the International Skating Union (ISU) World Development Trophy (WDT) 2014 last week in Mandaluyong City.

Both young skaters also attended the five-day training camp that was held before the one-day tournament, which was conducted by international coach Shanetta Folle of Austria, who previously coached Japan’s Mao Asada to a silver medal in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

“It was fun and I met new friends. I saw that I can work harder and learned that I have more aspects to improve so that I can become better in my sport,” said Guidote, who was thankful for Folle's tips.

Guidote and Elia Mariel Mendoza gave the Philippines silver (Basic Novice A girls’ free skate program) and bronze (Basic Novice B Girls) medals in the country’s final hosting of the World Development Trophy.
The bubbly 12-year-old skater from Muntinlupa, who learned to skate when she was six years old, is also setting her sights on qualifying for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games in South Korea.

Guidote, who also previously won silver medals in separate ISU events in China, Hong Kong, and Thailand and a bronze in the Asian Open in Bangkok, said she expects a long and difficult road ahead of her before she can achieve her Olympic dream.

"My goal is to someday be an Olympian like Michael Martinez and represent the Philippines. I plan to compete in several qualifying events so I can earn a berth in the 2018 Winter Olympics.”

She added that right now her parents are busy looking for sponsors that will help fund her Olympic dream. “Right now my parents and I are looking for sponsors to help me fund my Olympic dream, so we could go abroad.”

“The foreign coach and overseas training will depend on my parents. I have to follow the same path of [Martinez] if I’m going to someday achieve my Olympic dream,” said Guidote, who also hopes to tap Folle as her coach since she’s comfortable working with the international mentor.

Lingam, who also joined last year’s World Development Trophy in Manila, meanwhile, said Folle was an excellent choice to conduct the training camp. “The training is very extensive. I really learned a lot and it had a quite great impact on my training and skills.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

Pagninilay