Rios aims to give Pacman KO No. 4

Brandon Rios, with his 12-round welterweight non-title bout opposite Manny Pacquiao four months away, fired the opening salvo as he expressed confidence to hand the Filipino southpaw’s fourth knockout loss of his career.

And the 27-year-old Lubbock, Texas-born fighter has some choice words against the former pound-for-pound king Pacquiao (54-5-2 with 38 KOs).

“Honestly, I think I can knock [Pacquiao] out, I have that kind of power in my hands. I feel stronger in this division and I'm ready to show my power. I'm going for the knockout,” said Rios (31-1-1 with 23 KOs) in an interview by BoxingSecene.com’s Miguel Rivera.

Pacquiao has been knocked out three times in his 18-year boxing career, most recently a crushing sixth-round KO loss against Mexican nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1 with 40 KOs) on December 8, 2012.

Pacquiao, as a 16-year-old bantamweight, suffered his first KO, third round, loss to compatriot Rustico Torrecampo on February 9, 1996, which ended his 11-fight winning streak. He went on to win 15 straight bouts after that before Thailand’s Medgoen Singsurat stopped him cold again in the third round on September 17, 1999.

Now, Rios wants to add his name to the list of boxers who brought down the Fighting Congressman from Sarangani province.

He said that he is training hard as he expects to face a better and determined Pacquiao, who wants to bounce back after losing twice last year.

“We are ready for the guy who beat everyone and dominated the [welterweight] division. I don't care about Pacquiao's KO loss. Some people come back from that kind of KO loss, sometimes not. [But] We'll see how Pacquiao looks,” Rios said.

He added that getting the chance to face, and if possible beat, a fighter of the same caliber as Pacquiao will definitely boost his stock.

“I want to go out with a big win over someone like Manny Pacquiao, who will help my career take a new level. It means a lot to me, because I have waited for this opportunity for so long and finally I got it. I am excited and I will arrive well and prepared.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay