Denver's long-awaited title shot


Denver Cuello is armed, ready and confident to finally become a world boxing champion when he takes on World Boxing Council (WBC) minimumweight title holder Xiong Zhao Zhong of China on Friday night at the World Trade Centre in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The 26-year-old Cuello has waited for almost three years for this title shot as he hopes to join a dwindling list of Filipino world champions that include World Boxing Organization (WBO) strawweight titlist Merlito Sabio (22–0–0 with 11 knockouts), WBO light-flyweight holder Donnie Nietes (31–1–4 with 17 KOs) and International Boxing Federation king John Riel Casimero (18–2–0 with 10 KOs).

"I’ve waited for the past three years for this moment. I’ve always wanted to fight a top contender and now finally Dubai has made my dream come true," said Cuello (33-4-6 with 21 KOs) in an interview with GulfNews.com.

His eight-week training camp, which concluded at the K.O. Gym in Dubai Marina, included hours of watching tapes of Xiong’s (20-4-1 with 11 KOs) past fights.

And now that Cuello has studied his opponent’s every move inside the ring and carefully laid out his game plan together with trainer-manager Aljo Jaro, the southpaw fighter from Cabatuan, Iloilo is confident he can either outpoint or knock out the 30-year-old Chinese champion to snatch the 105-pound belt.

"I’ve been training for the past eight weeks now and I feel I can beat him. Of course, I watch his fights on video. I know how can I beat or knock him out,” said Cuello, who is on a 12-fight winning streak and has not lost since being disqualified against Juan Hernandez (22-2 with 16 KOs) of Mexico during their WBC title eliminator bout on May 22, 2010 in Mexico City.

"I’m so very excited because so many of my countrymen will watch this live and watch me on top of the situation," added Cuello.

Cuello, who scored an easy second-round technical knockout win over Mexican Ganigan Lopez (22-5 with 15 KOs) last year to clinch the WBC silver minimumweight title to earn the right to face Xiong, has challenged his opponent to box.

"I want to fight with you toe-to-toe. I hope you will fight well and won’t run away from me. May the best man win on Friday night," said Cuello, who enjoys a three-and-a-half-inch edge in reach and three-inch height advantage.

Xiong is no pushover after beating Mexican Javier Martinez Resendiz (13-5-2 with 6 KOs) via unanimous decision to clinch the WBC 105-lb. strap and become China’s first world boxing champ.

He said he is also ready for his first title defense. "I’ve been ready for 10 weeks. I’ve been in training and I am feeling good about coming to Dubai for the first time. (Friday) June 28 is going to be the most important date for boxing in China as I intend to retain my WBC crown," said Xiong, who added that it will be a fast fight.

"I’ve been studying him (Cuello) on video four to five times over. He keeps saying ‘come, come’, but now we are finally here. I’m ready. Let’s go," Xiong said. "Every boxer wants to win, but it’s not about the pressure from my country, it’s about the determination to win as a professional boxer."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay