A re-match made in heaven?

Deposed champion Nonito Donaire Jr. wants a rematch against Guillermo Rigondeaux and has called out the Cuban World Boxing Association and World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight titlist to fight at 126 pounds or even at a catch weight that both sides agree on.

Donaire (31-2 with 20 knockouts) suffered a unanimous decision loss against Rigondeaux (12-0 with eight knockouts) two weeks ago costing the Filipino Flash his WBO and The Ring title belts.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, Donaire's promoter, however, is also thinking of pitting the 30-year-old Talibon, Bohol-born fighter against World Boxing Council titleholder Victor Terrazas (37-2-1 with 21 knockouts) of Mexico.

Donaire no longer wants to continue fighting at 122 lbs. after encountering weight problems before his 12-round unification bout against Rigondeaux and now wants to climb up to the featherweight (126 lbs.) division.

"Going down to 122 would be a disadvantage for me so I'll wait for them at 126. Or we can work out a deal in between where we can just fight with no belts or no nothing. We can just fight right there or even one of those catch weight," said Donaire during an interview with Luis Sandoval at BoxingScene Radio.

"I don't want to take advantage of being the bigger guy or I don't want him taking advantage of me being the drained fighter. We definitely want to fight," added Donaire, who is expecting his first child with his wife Rachel in July.

Donaire said Rigondeaux only outsmarted him in their 12-round unification bout at the Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

"I know in my heart that he's not better than me in terms of speed and power. He outsmarted me and that's something that hasn't been done in my career. I've always listened to my corner. I've always done things and I've always studied," he said.

Donaire, however, blames himself for losing to Rigondeaux. "But in (Rigondeaux) fight, I never studied the fight and that's one thing I have to go back on. It’s not taking anything lightly and I just got to train and everything that transpired in that fight was due to my mistake which was to study."

He said that he is in top shape coming into the fight. "But mentally I just didn't really care much of what he had to offer and that was a mistake that I made."

Donaire added that he’s learned his lesson of underestimating his opponents. "From this point on I’m going to learn to study every fighter and learn their style and their ways of fighting. I think it will be easier for me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay