New sparmate toughens up Pacquiao

Freddie Roach said that he wanted Manny Pacquiao to remain busy inside the ring once the Fighting Congressman from Sarangani province faces Juan Manuel Marquez for a fourth time on December 8 (Sunday in Manila) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 52-year-old Roach, in an interview by Los Angeles Times writer Lance Pugmire, has added welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez as the eight-time world division's newest sparring partner for his training camp at the Wild Card Gym.

Gomez, who will be fighting in the undercard of the Amir Khan-Carlos Molina main event on December 15 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, is also being trained by Roach and is undefeated after 13 fights with 10 of his wins coming by way of knockout.

"I use Frankie for activity. I want Manny to fight full three-minute rounds against Marquez, and Frankie gets in there and forces Manny to do that," said Roach. "Manny and Frankie are both very competitive in there, and Frankie has proven to be very strong in there."

Gomez, an orthodox fighter like Marquez, said that he knows how to handle southpaw boxers like Pacquiao. "(I just) put pressure. Give him trouble. I was raised by a left-handed trainer, and I've been fighting left-handers all my life, so I think I’m pretty good moving the opposite way you usually do."

He is also cherishing the chance Roach has given him to spar with Pacquiao. "I've always wanted to train with the best. Taking on [Pacquiao's] speed, his power… he fights with so much experience… he makes you work to a point you’ve never been to."

He said he wants to give Pacquiao the best workout possible. "He obviously has more experience, so I do what I do. Manny gets you tired, he just keeps on pushing, keeps on coming. His power is good, and when he turns it up … he's caught me good, and hurt me to the body. He’ll be ready."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay