Comparing apples to dalanghitas

Living and working here in Canada, particularly in the city of Saskatoon in the province of Saskatchewan, I can’t help but compare how local officials run the government here to the Philippines. I know that Canada is a first-world country and it is like comparing apples to dalanghitas (citrus oranges) but hear me out before calling my head to be chopped off. The first thing I noticed is how the taxes that you are paying are spent wisely where even a foreign worker like me can enjoy its benefits.

I’m still using an open work permit here, still a foreign worker, while we’re waiting for our papers for permanent residency status. However, being a foreign worker did not prevent me from receiving benefits that were also available to legal residents and Canadian citizens like free healthcare and employee insurance. After all, when I started working here, local and federal government taxes were deducted from my salary.

I have a health card under the universal health-care system administered by the Saskatchewan Health Services, which they say is free (sort of since your taxes help fund the program), and I have been using it whenever I go see the doctor get my prescription medicine. I do not pay anything and since I am also under my wife’s private health care, I get my anti-seizure medication cheaper.

PhilHealth is somewhat the equivalent of SHS’s health-care system, the only difference is the former is riddled with corruption where members of the board enjoy perks like millions of pesos worth of stipends, bonuses, and other per diems. While the lowly laborers and their families in my home country are struggling to get better health care.

Workers here also have employment insurance and it was a big help to a lot of people, especially me when restrictions due to the ongoing pandemic tightened up that forced schools to shut down sometime in March and resume classes online. I received EI once I was laid off by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Saskatoon. The EI’s equivalent could be the Ayuda given by the Philippine government either thru the Social Security System (private sector) or the Government Service Insurance System (public servants).

A decade or so ago, SSS officials were exposed to giving themselves huge bonuses and other perks. Insane amounts of money that experts say could endanger the pension funds of retired workers in the private sector.

Provincial governments (or the Federal) also put urban planning as a top priority in establishing communities—residential and commercial—and laying out roads. Groceries, shopping centers, restaurants, and other commercial establishments are built away from the major roads where you really need to drive out of the major roadways. Circle Drive, EDSA (Highway 54 to the young at heart) in Manila, is very convenient where you can drive from your home to your destination in 30 minutes or less.

There is a lot more difference than I noticed here that is lacking in the Philippines, but I already exceeded the 500-character limit. My main point is, to imagine what kind of other services the Filipino masses could have enjoyed if officials in the Philippines if the taxes collected is well spent and not enjoyed by a few political families that established their dynasties. Now, I hope I won’t get bashed on social media after this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay