Bradley to show no mercy in rematch against Pacquiao

Timothy Bradley Jr. will throw out the word compassion when he steps inside the ring on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) when he defends his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown against former champion Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The 30-year-old Bradley (31-0 with 12 knockouts) won the 147-pound belt over Pacquiao (55-5-2 with 38 KOs) in a highly-debatable split decision in their first meeting on June 9, 2012. He then made two successful title defenses against Ruslan Provodnikov (23-2 with 16 KOs) and co-Pacquiao conqueror Juan Manuel Marquez (55-7-1 with 40 KOs) in 2013.

Bradley, in a RingTV interview, said he also wants to prove that his victory over Pacquiao more than two years ago is no fluke after WBO’s five-member panel found out that the eight-division world champion was the true winner of the match following a review of the video of the bout.

He will put that controversial match behind him and will again be all business this time in their scheduled 12-round rematch.

"He [Pacquiao] will get absolutely no compassion from me. In that ring, it is all about my family eating or his family eating. Manny Pacquiao will have to knock me out to stop my family from eating,” said Bradley, who will get a guaranteed US$6 million and another US$4 million from pay-per-view shares.

Bradley, in separate interviews in the months leading to their rematch, has questioned Pacquiao’s motivation believing that his opponent has already lost the same killer instinct that vaulted him atop boxing’s elite based on the results of the Filipino boxing icon’s past four matches before their meeting.

“I hope come [April 12], Manny can find that fire and be the Pacquiao of old because this hurt’s the business,” Bradley said.

Pacquiao, in an interview with EastSideBoxing.com, countered that he remains motivated to win just like the very first time when he made his professional debut with a unanimous decision victory over compatriot Edmund Ignacio almost 20 years ago.

“I love the competition and I love to win. When that stops, so does my professional boxing career. But I don’t see that happening for a long time. Because I am facing Bradley again I am extra motivated for this fight,” said the Fighting Congressman from Sarangani province.

“I still have the hunger and the desire to win and I appreciate Tim Bradley giving me this rematch to prove it. Unfortunately for him, on April 12, I will not be able to repay him that favor with kindness,” he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay