Back to you Jude!



Only a few people would remember that I was University of the East's first UAAP student courtside reporter when the league transferred from Silverstar to ABS-CBN Sports in 2000.

I was part of the first batch that included Pia Arcangel of Ateneo (who is now one of the reporters/anchors at the News and Public Affairs division of GMA Network), La Salle's George Rocha, UST's Claude Despabiladeras (hope I got his name right) and FEU's Ian Adewuya (who I believe has already returned to his country).

I had already forgotten the names of the courtside reporters from Adamson, NU, and UP.

It was a thrilling experience for me, having passed the audition conducted by Randy Sacdalan and Mico Halili (who later became Pia's husband), representing UE, and seeing myself on TV.

I can hear, through my earpiece, that Jude Turcuato was already introducing me and when the cameraman gave me the cue that I was already on air I choked, there was a 2 to 3-second pause. I recovered, though, and managed to deliver my report but forgot to read my cue cards. What I reported was the last thing that then-coach Itoy Esguerra told his players during the huddle.

Good thing I remembered what coach Itoy said and I survived my first courtside report. I think I had held my own against the other courtside reporters but Pia is really the best in our group. You can see the results.

As for me, the camera and being on TV were never really my thing. I decided to continue working behind the scenes. I'm much more comfortable writing. That's why up to now I'm still writing/editing UAAP stories.

Though, I surely miss the fun and excitement of being inside the Araneta and hearing the crowd cheer their hearts out for their school and jeer the opposing teams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bishop Hagemoen challenges pilgrims to be Prophets of the New Millennium

Papal visit hopes to repair relationship with Indigenous Peoples

A letter to Tatay